The National Security Intelligence (জাতীয় নিরাপত্তা গোয়েন্দা), commonly known as the NSI, is the principal intelligence agency of People’s Republic of Bangladesh (গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ). The NSI’s headquarters is in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The NSI is the leading body of the Government of Bangladesh in the field of Internal security, Counter Terrorism, Counter intelligence and Foreign intelligence. NSI is largest among the intelligence agencies in Bangladesh, the others are as Directorate General of Forces Intelligence (DGFI), SB, CID, Army Intelligence, Naval Intelligence etc. This is an independent international intelligence agency. The agency has 37 branch offices. The NSI also has 64 territorial units in all of the 64districts of Bangladesh headed by Joint Director/Deputy Director or Assistant Director.
Being the largest, highest and the only independent intelligence agency in Bangladesh, The NSI’s principal activities are gathering information about foreign governments, individuals, corporations and political parties, and different religious groups and terrorists, and counter-intelligence against foreign intelligence agencies etc.
- The Directorate General of National Security Intelligence is headed by a Director General (D.G) with the rank of Secretary of the Government of Bangladesh or equivalent.
- The force is mostly staffed by civil personnel.
The NSI has an executive office and several agency-wide functions, and eight major Wings:
- The Directorate of External, responsible for all-source intelligence from aboard
- The Directorate of Border, responsible for all-source intelligence from border area of the country
- The Directorate of Internal, responsible for all-source intelligence inside the country
- The Directorate of Security, responsible for security of VVIP and protecting the country by eliminating threats
- The Directorate of Administration, responsible for personnel management and the like
- The Directorate of Training, responsible for personnel development
- The Directorate of City Internal
- The Directorate of Counter Terrorism
It has a number of section under different directorates, responsible for different activities like Technical section which give all the technical supports all parts of the agency.
Organogram of the Agency
- Director General (DG)
- Additional Director (Addi D)
- Joint Director (JD)
- Deputy Director (DD)
- Assistant Director (AD)
- Field Officer (FO)
- Junior Field Officer (JFO)
- Watcher Constable (WC)
- Armed Constable (AC) [Police Constable]
- other staff.
The NSI has three principal activities: gathering information about foreign governments, corporations, and individuals; analyzing that information, along with intelligence gathered by other Bangladesh intelligence agencies, in order to provide national security intelligence assessment to senior Bangladesh policymakers; and, upon the request of the President of the people republic of Bangladesh, carrying out or overseeing covert activities and some tactical operations by its own employees, by members of the military, or by other partners.
Influencing public opinion
The Office of Public Affairs is often in charge of creating state funded propaganda for the masses. For example, during the 9/11 counter terror campaign, the administration advised the D.G of the NSI to publish on all media, public policy, and employee communications issues relating to this person’s role.